Friday, February 24, 2006

This is the last time.

I didn’t want to mention it again. It’s so shameful, having a skin condition. Even after the first time I mentioned it, I felt ashamed and I wished that I had kept it a secret. But then I mentioned it again, yesterday. I can’t seem to keep my mouth shut about what ails me. But this is the last time for a while, I promise. And I should say that it actually looking much better these days. To a stranger’s naked eye, you can’t hardly see it at all.

But when it was at its worst, one thing that really drove me nuts was the way my laptop keyboard gets really hot after it's been on for a while. It drove me to itchy distraction, until Hayden very thoughtfully (and romantically, because it was Valentine’s Day) got me a brand new keyboard and found me a separate mouse to attach as well. From that moment, I thought that things would surely improve.

But they didn’t! I become more and more … miserable? Irritable? What is the name for that dull moroseness which is caused by mild but constant discomfort? I cursed Townsville and its latitude. I cursed the many hapless shop assistants around here (the custom here is that when a shop doesn't have the item that you're after, the shop assistant won't apologise and let you get on with your life, rather they will go into a long and detailed explaination of why they don't have it. It drives me nuts.) I cursed February, and unemployment, and then I got a job and cursed that, and when I lost the job I cursed as well. Last night, when I was trying to make Hayden a special surprise dinner of homemade dumplings and salad, I cursed the heat, the stove, the dumpling pastry, the hot oil and myself. It was not a very nice surprise for Hayden after all. And then he still had to make the salad himself.

But don't worry, I've found out what the source of the problem was: the mouse! It was too heavy for my poor tiny hand, and it was causing tension to flow up my arm to my shoulders and my neck and into my brain. So I got a new mouse today, and it has made all the difference.

I revoke all curses forthwith.

No comments: