Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Let's have a ball and a biscuit

I ate a pie for breakfast this morning, and I have regained my urge to tidy. I’m taking these two things (that aren’t necessarily linked in any other way) as evidence that I’m pulling out of my February funk.

I found myself in the tradies' part of town this morning, when I took our little car to have its airconditioning fixed (it recently gave out due to overuse). I first dropped Hayden at work, and when I arrived at the auto electrician's, I stepped out of the car into the most delicious smell of baking pastry … that’s right, I was in that strange land of light industry where numerous snack bars keep a good supply of pies (pronounced 'poys') on hand throughout the day, starting at breakfast time. Needless to say, I succumbed to the call of the poy. It was worth it.

Anyway, I’m glad I’m feeling better on the whole, cos I’ve gotta go to work tomorrow. That’s right, I seem to have found myself a job, though it was slightly strange how it came about, in a ‘be careful what you wish for’ kind of way. When we left Melbourne last November, I was thoroughly sick of recruitment agencies and their slackness, and boring temp jobs, and I was hoping that in Townsville I would be able to somehow find the perfect kind of low-key yet enjoyable job for, say, a maximum of two days a week, and I was also hoping to somehow just be given this perfect job, without too much rigmarole in the way of applications and interviews and rejections and suchlike. Marny (Hayden’s cousin) mentioned to me that the classical music festival they hold here every winter might need some help, and that I should apply for a job. So I got in touch with them, and they must be the last people in the world to be impressed by my ancient and disused Bachelor of Violin Playing, because I got the job! All very easy, and unexpected, and I’m trying not to dare to hope that everything to do with working there could be so easy and unexpected. I have so many things to do before tomorrow, including finishing the haircut that I started last week.

Wish me luck!

3 comments:

neena maiya (guyana gyal) said...

Good luck, Naomi. I see you like some of the things I enjoy...cleaning, hanging out laundry, etc etc. Ah, the simple things in life.

Naomi said...

Very nice to meet you! If there's anything you specially want to know about life in Townsville, please just ask..

Mr E said...

Good luck, Naomi. Don't work too hard. And oi could really go for a poy now.